Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Turning Color into Black & White

One of my most exciting photographic discoveries can be found on the open roadway. You round a corner and there it is, your next masterpiece waiting to be shot. I always shoot in color, even if I plan to turn the image into black & white before printing. In color you can add filtration to the image as if you were shooting a black & white original. Of course polarizing must be done at the camera. Having shot with a polarizing filter it's easy to add a heavy red to the image in Photoshop before converting to black & white. It gives a similar effect as adding a red filter to the lens. It's filtering the color to add drama to your scene.

While scenics aren't normally my thing, once in awhile I'll come across a scene that needs to be captured, like the detail of a 10" x 37" panorama recently shot in New Mexico.

No comments: